Sunday, November 21, 2010

Why am I here? Why do I watch shows like SNL?



Those of us who watch TV on a regular basis have probably found themselves asking why they are watching something that is terrible.

I'm not talking about "guilty pleasure" terrible, where something is enjoyable, even though it is lowbrow. I'm talking about deliberately sitting down to watch a show week after week, even though it consistently disappoints, out of sheer loyalty, a desire to not miss a potential great moment, or some other reason. While this semester has left me unable to follow as many television shows as I'd like, I still have this relationship with Saturday Night Live.

Rarely can I say that I enjoy a full episode of SNL, where I can recall sketches, recall laughing at them and find more hits than misses. Most weeks, SNL is filled with painfully unfunny skits that drag on far too long with only the occasional chuckle, which is how this season has been for me. Last night's episode, hosted by Anne Hathaway, was probably tied with the Amy Poehler-hosted season premiere for the best episode of this season, but sadly, that's not saying much.

Yet, every single week, I sit down, put aside whatever I'm doing, open up the ONTD discussion posts for the episode, and sit complaining (or occasionally expressing amusement) at the episode with fellow commenters. I usually don't enjoy the episodes enough to warrant spending 90 minutes watching them in real time.

So why do I do it? Well, the aforementioned discussion posts are a big reason. They help me get excited about the episodes, even though I'm eventually disappointed by them. As ONTD user "whop__dedooo" (that's a perfect username given the discussion) said, "the formula for our snl posts is pretty much: soo excitied --> ehh this skit is boring --> the writers dont know what to do with them ---> why did i watch again." I'd like to add a fifth step: "Oh yeah, I watch because it's better than homework."

For me, even the most painfully unfunny episode is better than toiling away on a Word document for hours and hours on a paper I care little about. It's a chance to complain about something other than my procrastination and my schoolwork. It can also assure I don't miss a potentially funny moment (I still remember watching "Dick In A Box" live, thinking it would be a hit, and going online immediately after the episode to be proven correct). But mainly, it's a chance to procrastinate, quality or not.


Does anyone else have similar relationships with shows?

5 comments:

  1. YES. I would still probably be watching SNL, except that I have no TV at school. I have to take the time to track down all my shows online now and SNL was one of the first things that I decided wasn't worth my time. (Also: it feels like a much bigger waste of time watching it on Sunday morning.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. But with How I Met Your Mother...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most people have experienced bad relationships with shows. The reason can be vary. But the main reason is definitely boredom (especially for me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to watching the TV program, I would choose everything that will make me not boring. The TV program should vary in order to make us keep our eyes on our TV. It should entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think TV programs that can entertain me is that broadcast programs about music. I think music can soothe my heart when I'm there is a problem. By hearing the music of singer that we like it feels so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete