Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Claymates: A social group created via TV

Working in the BG News newsroom this evening, I was inspired by the soundtrack of the evening to write this entry.

In previous entries, I've made it clear that I'm not the biggest fan of reality television. However, that wasn't always the case. In fact, for most of my high school life, a reality television show helped to greatly impact my life.

This has become incredibly embarrassing to admit in recent years (which is ironic, given the fact that I used to be quite vocal about it in high school), but here it goes. I am a Claymate.

Yes, I adore "American Idol" season two runner-up Clay Aiken. I have seen him six times in concert, and for the past seven years, I have participated in a number of message boards dedicated to Aiken, particularly Idolforums.com, or IDF. I was not one of those fans who abandoned him when he came out of the closet, in fact, I jumped for joy. I am not as obsessed with him as I was in the past, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him.

I've since stopped watching "American Idol," and I was always disappointed in every season besides Aiken's. However, I still post regularly on a site that is dedicated to the show, even if I don't talk about the show.

Why? Sometimes, I'm not so sure. While Aiken does have a new album coming out in June (which, even though it's a cover song album, I'm very excited about), his portion of the message board is not as active as it was in 2004-2005. As previously stated, I don't watch "Idol" anymore. I think the reason that I find myself sticking around on IDF is because the model of "American Idol" allows for people to become addicted to the show, develop an attachment to those featured on the show and connect with fellow fans.

It's incredibly pathetic, but I cried when Aiken lost the "Idol" crown. I had become so attached to him, I voted for him hundreds of times. I would always get so incredibly nervous every Wednesday night, because I was afraid he would be kicked off of the show. I found myself getting in somewhat heated arguments with my eighth grade classmates who supported other contestants, and I bonded with those who shared my affection for Aiken. The "Idol" show model promotes the fervent support of contestants, making it seem incredibly important that they vote for their favorite, so that they can win.

Of course, as Aiken proved, you don't necessarily have to win the "Idol" crown to sell records and concert tickets. The Claymates who supported Aiken were very passionate, and took to the Internet to express their support for him. They organized CD release parties (which I attended), pre-concert gatherings, charity functions and more. I can say that I've made some good friends through the Aiken message boards, both in people I chat with on the Internet, as well as those I have met in person over the years.

People may criticize television for isolating people, and that certainly can happen. However, with shows like "American Idol," fans can take a curiosity and casual support for a show or contestant, and turn it into a social strength.

And, just for fun, my favorite Aiken performance of all time. Actually, this 80 second performance is possibly my favorite song of all time.

2 comments:

  1. I don't care for him much (or really anything AI) (my idol is Kelly) but whatever he NAILED that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you loved this song, you would have thought you had died and gone to heaven had you been fortunate enough to attend the March 12th concert in Raleigh. He sang the whole song and it was magical. I know it won't be on the new album but let's hope it is on the PBS Special that was filmed at that time. The new album will be incredible and I can hardly wait to get it.

    You had great taste as an 8th grader and glad to see it has carried on. :)

    ReplyDelete