Saturday, April 17, 2010

The week in late night laughs

Stephen Colbert's send-up of various aspects of politics and popular culture are always spot-on and hilarious. Since television is my life, I have to admit that I have not missed an episode of "the Colbert Report," ever. I began watching the show on its debut, Oct. 17, 2005, and I haven't looked back. Is that pathetic? Probably, but at least I've been entertained in that time!

Anyway, my point is that I've seen Colbert mock a lot of people and trends over those four-and-a-half years he has been on the air. Thursday night Colbert took on the "hipster" demographic, and it was easily in one of my top 25 Colbert moments. Apparently, hipsters feel that it's cooler to ironically refuse to fill out the census than to help make their area a better place. Then again, as Colbert points out, maybe that is the point! There has to be a point where gentrification becomes even too much for those poor hipsters. If they have to pay higher rents for their run-down apartments, how will they afford they Pabst Blue Ribbon?

I'm sure that the more exciting news from Thursday's episode is that Colbert will be traveling to Houston next month to participate in NASA's astronaut training. While that will surely be an epic piece of television (as were his Iraq and Philadelphia shows), in the meantime, I'm too busy laughing at hipsters to think of the upcoming trip.

Check out Colbert's segment on the hipsters here:

Tip/Wag - Forbes & Hipsters
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorFox News


In other late-night TV news, "Saturday Night Live" delivered yet another lackluster episode this week. I can't really place the blame on host Ryan Phillippe (even though he often looked bored to tears to be there), because once again, I feel that the weak links of the show are the writing. However, instead of focusing on the weak parts of the show, I have to share with everyone the absolutely hilarious portion of Saturday's broadcast.

If you live in or around Ohio or Michigan (well, really anywhere in the Midwest, but especially in these states), you're probably familiar with Insane Clown Posse, and their fans, the Juggalos. They are, well, unique, for a lack of a better word. For those who are outside of the Juggalo fandom, ICP can offer utter hilarity, as their latest video for the song "Miracles" shows (lyrics are NSFW).



On SNL, they beautifully parodied the "Miracles" video and the Juggalos. "Why are pants different than shirts?" is a question for the ages.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched SNL on Hulu and laughed so hard at the Outrageous Clown Squad skit.

    ReplyDelete