Thursday, October 28, 2010

Big Love set to end in 2011 ... good riddance?

Thursday, HBO announced that the fifth season of Big Love, beginning Sunday, Jan. 16, will be its last.

I used to be a fan of Big Love in its first and second season (I'm one of the only people who did not really enjoy season three, minus the amazing "Come Ye Saints" episode), in which the Henrickson/Grant/Heffman family faced the extensive issues that come along with hiding their polygamist family from society, and attempting to deal with a traditional polygamist compound.

And then, suddenly, I found myself reacting like this when watching it:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It became just so complicated; too many characters were in play, and Bill Paxton's character, Bill Henrickson, became more unlikable than Michael Scott. Big Love was good at making us love to hate characters (Daveigh Chase's Rhonda still makes my blood boil when I think about her), but with Bill, they simply ruined him.

In terms of increasing the show's quality, ending the show may be the best option. Hopefully, they'll use their remaining episodes to leave the show with a good legacy. Actually, I hope Bill dies or the wives leave him.

Anyway, Big Love, along with Entourage (also ending next year), needed to end. I'll add the Office to that list as well. Anyone else have shows that they only watch out of habit, because they're still on TV? Ones that you don't really enjoy? Leave a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Rescue Me. Last season, I struggled to get through like 9 episodes (nothing new happened, maddeningly repetitive, etc etc), but I've invested in like 6 seasons, so might as well see it through. If it wasn't ending next summer, I don't know if I would still be watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Met Your Mother. I loved the first few seasons, but now they're resorting to a possible baby storyline and that's always death for a sitcom. Not to mention everyone is fed up with waiting to find out who the damn mother is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. Thank you for your clear information. endzone camera reviews

    ReplyDelete