Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Daria on DVD!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It thrills me to no end to be able to say that I'm watching Daria on DVD. For 8 years since the show ended, disaffected and maladjusted 20-something and 30-somethings have resorted to torrents, YouTube accounts and fan-made copies of the show in order to get their fix of one of the most realistic characters ever.

So many of us can relate to Daria Morgendorffer; her unwillingness to be a know-it-all in class, her sarcasm, her inability to deal with social interaction. I think Jane Lane was one of the original hipsters, and so many girls had a crush on Trent Lane, it's ridiculous. My father shares many characteristics with Daria's father, Jake, and my freshman year guidance counselor looked incredibly similar to Mr. Demartino. His attitude, however, was manifested in a senior year teacher, instead!

The show reminds me so much of my life that watching it, and it reminds me of junior high, when my friends and I woefully mourned the end of the show in 2002. Unfortunately, the original music is mostly gone, since licensing the songs was far too expensive. However, for die-hard fans such as myself, I'm just happy to watch a high-quality version of the show!

I found it amazing that I had to go to two different Target stores yesterday to find it, so, apparently, demand is pretty high.

So, what's everyone's favorite Daria episode, character or quote? "Fizz Ed," the episode in which Lawndale High is co-opted by Ultra Cola and the school falls to pieces in the quest for more funding. Trent Lane is just a cartoon god; I wish I was friends with someone as cool as him!

As for my favorite quote, it's difficult to pick just one. A favorite? From Daria: "I think I may just skip college and stay at home. It'll save me the trouble of moving back home later." I feel like this would have been a smarter option for me, and it would have saved me some money, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment