Thursday, May 6, 2010

I hope Forss Fagerstrom shows up to Conan's show.



This is the Breslin Center at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Mich. It's the home of the Michigan State Spartans basketball team (who appeared in this year's Final Four), but, as someone who cares a minimal amount about sports, that fact is semi-irrelevant. For me, the Breslin Center has a different significance.

In 15 days, on May 21, it will be the venue where I see Conan O'Brien on his "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour."

Crazy, right? Back in March, when dates were announced, they sold out so quickly that I was unable to get a ticket, and it broke my heart that I couldn't witness this event, since it was likely to be Conan's only tour ever. I was filled with jealousy as I saw photos, videos and recaps from his shows throughout April. Then, one day a few weeks ago, I saw on Twitter that the school was going to host his tour on May 21, between his Chicago and Toronto dates, and tickets were a lot cheaper for this show than they were for the other shows.

I figured it was a long shot, since, as someone not enrolled at MSU, I could not participate in the student pre-sale, and they were only selling 4,500 tickets. However, I set my alarm last Monday bright and early to try to buy a ticket. After 15 gut-wrenching minutes of denial by the website, I was finally able to get into the ticketing system, and I got my ticket. The sense of accomplishment was honestly greater than my sense of accomplishment I got from graduating from high school, as pathetic as that sounds.

I won't ramble on about this for too long, since on May 22, I will update this blog with a ridiculously long recap. But, I am so thankful I have the chance to go, because I know how many people were in my original situation. Thank you, MSU, for not making this event only for MSU students, as Ohio State University did for Conan's May 24 show.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for guests, because, after all, who would be in the East Lansing area? The preceding Chicago shows and following Toronto shows will probably have great guests, and we'll get the shaft. I mean, two of my favorite people on the face of the earth, Jack McBrayer and Jason Mraz, have made guest appearances at his shows. I can't be that lucky! But, I'm not complaining too much, because seeing Conan, Andy Richter and the Legally Prohibited Band will be enough for me. Forss Fagerstrom showing up would be nice as well.



In Conan news that is not related to my shameless bragging, he was on 60 Minutes Sunday, discussing his exit with NBC. Personally, I thought he came across as crestfallen but not bitter, and it only made me love him more. You can watch the interview here:


Watch CBS News Videos Online

Additionally, CBS' YouTube account has some bonus videos. I'm partial to this one:



Oh, and this video is just for fun. It still cracks me up 2 1/2 years later. A fire alarm interrupts Conan, hilarity ensues.



NOTE: Although I am finished with my Online Journalism class for which this blog was created, I plan on keeping it up. I may be a bit less stringent on AP Style and may use slang/Internet lingo more in my updates. Additionally, my updates may not be as frequent as they were during the semester. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment