Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol: Bowersox v. DeWyze

Tonight marked the end of the much-maligned ninth season of American Idol, and in one final upset, Lee DeWyze, the paint salesman from Mount Prospect, Ill. (near Chicago) beat out Ellison, Ohio (near my home, Toledo) native Crystal Bowersox.

While Lee certainly had a fair amount of fans, it seemed fairly obvious that in this weak season, Crystal was the clear winner, and arguably had the most powerful voice in the competition, and understandably, people are upset about this, myself included.

Now, I realize that I may be biased due to Crystal's connection to my city. She's been performing at Toledo-area venues for over 10 years, and she has a lot of pride for the city, so I wanted to see her win. However, and judging by online reaction to this finale, I just feel as though Lee was not deserving of this title.

I see why people like Lee. He's not TERRIBLE. I just don't think he's a good enough of a singer or performer to warrant winning the title. I just think Crystal was far superior. I know there was a lot of outcry over Kris Allen winning over Adam Lambert last year, but I think even that upset was a little more understandable, because Kris was more consistent and less dry than Lee is. This is just outrageous to me.

Again, I don't mean to sound like I hate Lee, because I don't. I like singer-songwriters like Lee a lot, and I may end up liking the music he records. But in terms of this competition, Crystal was just far superior in performance technique and singing. His performances, while not necessarily BAD, were boring to me. I'd rather watch the paint he sells dry than watch him. I could not get behind a contestant who was so dry AND lacked an absolutely outstanding voice.

I can see that Lee got a lot of women votes based on his looks and personality (I'm sure he's a nice guy, as the judges kept reminding viewers Tuesday). However, on the other hand, I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE enough of them voted to make this upset. This contest is not one about personality and appearance, it's about talent and performances, simple as that. Even though I've given up on American Idol, prior to the finale I went back and watched all of Lee and Crystal's performances, and I just find it difficult to support Lee when he was up against Crystal. He was just a poor choice for a winner, in my opinion, especially against Crystal. America (or the producers, if you're like me and you think the votes aren't the ONLY way the winner is picked) picked someone too generic when there were memorable alternatives.


As a Toledoan, I'm very proud of Crystal. She's struggled in Toledo, and she's really made a name for herself in local bars and clubs. Her song, "Holy Toledo," written about the city, is really beautiful, in my opinion. Even though she did not win, she's done my city proud. For so long, the few times Toledo is in the spotlight, it's been for crazy things (usually involving our former mayor, Carty Finkbeiner). Crystal brought pride to our city, and in the media coverage I've seen of Crystal, I feel Toledoans have done a good job of proving their pride for her.

Lord knows I haven't voted since Clay Aiken lost in 2003 (yes, I'm still bitter about that, thank you), but I voted for Crystal, because I love seeing a Toledoan succeed. Maybe I cursed her! Even with this loss, northwest Ohio is very proud of her. Though she was stuck on what is largely considered the weakest season ever, she still proved that she is a worthy competitor, and I hope it brings her good fortune in the future.

The only positives are that Crystal will not be burdened with the rigid contract the show makes the winners sign. Ricky Gervais' appearance was an unexpected surprise, too. Plus, maybe the outcry over Lee winning and this season being an overall disappointment coupled with Simon Cowell leaving will spell the end for this tired show. I'm so glad I stopped watching it in season 7 (even though seasons 7 and 8 are largely viewed as fan favorites).


Agree, disagree? I'm very curious to see what people have to say about this outcome, and what the future will bring for Lee, Crystal and the show, so leave a comment!

Also, here's Crystal singing her ode to our home, "Holy Toledo."

No comments:

Post a Comment