Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bid farewell to Big Love

It seemed like yesterday I wrote about how Big Love was ending after its fifth season, and now, the time has come. Tonight, HBO will air the final episode of the polygamist drama. And, surprisingly, I'm excited about it - excited for the right reasons.

I'm not excited for the reason I thought I would be - putting a formerly good show out of its misery. No, I'm actually excited because this season has been fairly good. The show has gotten back to its roots (the family and its drama), and there has been plenty of family drama to keep the show going. Without spoiling too much, the usual suspects at Juniper Creek are proving to be a great threat to the Henrickson family, which is facing self-implosion due to drama from a straying Barb, an emotional Nicki and a conflicted Margene. Oh, and Bill may go to jail. And Rhonda, quite possibly one of the most abhorrent characters in television (the one you love to hate) is back, which has yielded plenty of rage and emotion from me.

Sure, there are a lot of plot lines on the show right now that will need to be tied up tonight, and this season wasn't perfect because of them. Yet, last week's episode, Exorcism, was fascinating and kept me interested. I think the show did a good job of using a self-imposed ending to return to its roots and make a strong final season.

I'm glad that I'm excited for the series finale of a show I liked - I'm glad they were able to make audiences care enough to watch the finale (unlike shows like Nip/Tuck). Amanda Seyfried and Aaron Paul are expected to return in this episode, and I'm glad we'll get to see them one more time. I'm looking forward to the prospect of something bad happening to Bill and Rhonda. As a whole, I'm looking to see if they end the show on an optimistic note (where Alby goes down, Bill avoids jail and the family stays together) or a dim one (the family splits, Bill goes to jail, people die). It could go either way this evening, and I'm interested to see what they do. As ONTD user "arrogant_sage" said perfectly, this is a "great little train wreck of a show," and I'm glad that it's going out on a fairly strong note.

HBO posted a few clips of the finale:







What are your expectations for the finale?

9 comments:

  1. I heard Bil Paxton was a little upset about the finale himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t watched it. Could you please give me the link of final episode? It seems like I missed something important about this series. Thank you…

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the last episode of Big Love is all the story ends happily. I would rather see a happy ending rather than a very sad end. Actually I have not seen the last episode, could you provide a link from the last episode?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later on. Cheers
    Here is my blog post :: web design miami beach

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog's content every day along with a mug of coffee.
    My web page ... backup camera

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the valuable information you provide to your articles.

    I will bookmark your blog and test again right here frequently.

    I am fairly sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the following!
    My website > mobile phones for sale

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our pneumatic factory was founded in 2000,CHECK HERE.

    In decades of serving China pneumatic industry, we have built our reputation on product

    knowledge, world class suppliers, application support, and value add services. Our

    commitment to our employees, customers and vendors is the core of our business beliefs. In

    our factory, there are more than 80 front-line workers, 3000 squares working shop.Our main

    products are air Pneumatic

    Cylinder
    , solenoid valve and also a lot of pneumatic fittings like Air Gun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wall Mounted Taps - Low Price on Bath Mixer Taps and Kitchen Taps.http://www.findtaps.co.uk/11-wall-mounted-taps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bathtub faucet became common used in normal families. People also afraid safty problem when choosing and using a http://www.faucetsmarket.com/waterfall-faucets-c-34.html . We have some important tips share with everybady about how to choosing a best Faucet parts.

    ReplyDelete