Wednesday, February 17, 2010

But, mom, I need to stay home to watch TV!

I don't mean to talk about myself too much in this blog, but I'm going to be a little self-indulgent for a bit.

For the past five days, I have been incredibly sick. Instead or working on the increasingly large amount of homework I have, I watched far too much television (please note that this is not much different from my life on a regular basis, but at least this time, I had a semi-relevant excuse for watching TV!). Of course, there have been numerous instances over my lifetime where I had to miss school as a means to recover from illness, and television has always been a way to forget about how miserable I've felt.

I have to ask, though, does anyone else have any go-to shows that they watch when they're sick? For me, it's The Price Is Right. Due to its 11:00 AM time slot, throughout elementary and high school, I rarely had the chance to watch the program, and therefore, it was such a treat to be able to watch it, even if the circumstances that allowed me to do so were less than fantastic. Of course, it was far more fun when Bob Barker was hosting the show (as an Ohioan, I always enjoyed the Drew Carey Show when I was younger, mainly due to its numerous Cleveland references, but honestly? Carey hosting TPIR is just nowhere near as fun as Barker; he may have been a womanizer, but it's hard to hate him. Plus, he beat up Adam Sandler, that's an automatic A+ in my book), but I'll still watch it when I'm sick, like I did on Monday and Tuesday of this week, just for old time's sake. And on those rare days that you watch, and you get to watch a contestant play Plinko? It's like all of your troubles melt away!

Let's ignore the fact that based on my current schedule, I could watch TPIR nearly every day. That's just not fun! It's one of those that is just more special when you're breaking the rules, when you feel like such a rebel for "skipping" school, even if you have a valid excuse - your illness (on that note, wasn't it so much more fun to be home sick when you were younger, because it meant that you succeeded in convincing your parents that you were sick enough to stay home?), and I plan on keeping it that way.

So, does anyone else have any television shows that they would turn to when they were sick? Other game shows? Cartoons? Old sitcoms? The rare hour or two a day when MTV and VH1 air music?

8 comments:

  1. Well, since I recently just got over being sick, I watched a TON of Buffy...being I have the amazing invention known as a DVR. Thankfully, Buffy is played on this weird gay TV station known as Logo, and, for some crazy weird reason, on MTV at 9am. So, I would watch Buffy (as well as other various shows, ie Red Eye) when I got back from my classes, in between blowing my nose and drinking glass after glass of oj.

    However, when I was younger, I was all for watching Nick and Cartoon Network being it was fun being a kid again and watching shows that I had NO IDEA WERE ON during the "school" hours of the weekday.

    Btw, I have a blog too...its a bit *ahem* political, but its a good time, really. :) The url is posted with my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A+ on the Bob Barker/Adam Sandler reference. That movie was incredible.
    As for me, I tend to watch really bad teen comedies or chick flicks when I'm sick. Nothing like a big bottle of Gatorade & some Lindsay Lohen to take the pain away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch Maury and Jerry Springer. It makes me feel better and it gives my some happiness in my day hearing "You are not the father!!" and the girls run off and the dude does the "I'm not the baby's father" dance.

    Jerry Springer just makes me laugh because I couldn't watch it when I was little because of the fights. But now, I just find it extremely funny. It helps watching stuff like that when so so sick that you're knocking on death's door, but he won't let you in cause you're not cool enough.

    I wish I could watch old Nick cartoons, but they don't even show them on TV like they should...so I watch them on YouTube.

    Awesome blog, by the way.
    TV is awesome to blog about. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved watching Home Improvement and Regis and Kelly. And for whatever reason, Kelly never ceased to make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sick or not, I still spend way too much time doing other things than my homework. For example, right now commenting. :)

    I'm a big fan of Friends and Seinfield so I usually watch that when I'm sick in bed but I'll watch almost anything. I enjoy watching the Court shows too. Sometimes though I get sick of watching the same thing everyday and its times like those that I wish I had cable.

    Lovely layout by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawson's Creek reruns on TBS (I think that was the channel) and Charmed on TNT made getting sick totally worthwhile in high school!

    -->anoveldesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love Smart Guy. It used to be on BET at around 2 pm. Disney kick-back!

    Alaina (www.tobeshelved.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. COME ON DOWN

    o and even stevens was the bomb disney show

    ReplyDelete