Friday, February 26, 2010

Hulu highlights, part one

One of the great developments in television in the last decade is the invention of Hulu, the (currently) free Web site featuring clips and full episodes of numerous television shows. Originally a joint venture between Universal and 20th Century Fox, there are now a myriad of options for users to catch missed episodes and discover new favorites with high-quality, legal videos (those are the key words with Hulu; you don’t have to worry about the Feds knocking on your door, or getting a headache from straining your eyes to see a poor quality video). Are you looking to discover the best Hulu has to offer, but don’t have plenty of time to spend watching TV on the Internet? Here are some of the best shows Hulu has to offer right now (at least, what the offer from the beginning, so you can become acquainted with a show from the beginning).

“Strangers With Candy” (Comedy Central, 1999-2000): If you are interested in introducing yourself to this show (which you should be), you need to act fast. As of right now, the episodes will expire on Saturday, Feb. 27. Normally I wouldn’t include videos that are going to expire so soon, but “Strangers With Candy” is one of my all-time favorites. In this satire of cheesy after-school specials, Amy Sedaris stars as Jerri Blank, a 46-year-old self-described “boozer, user and loser” who returns to high school to pick up her life where she left off when she left for a life on the streets. I became familiar with this show because of Sedaris’ co-star, Stephen Colbert, who plays a disaffected, rude and closeted teacher, Chuck Noblet. It’s utterly twisted and perverted, and that’s what makes it such fun.

“My So-Called Life” (ABC, 1994-1995): Since “Freaks and Geeks” is sadly not on Hulu, I’ll recommend this great look at the American high school experience instead. Claire Danes’ Angela Chase is a realistic and relatable character attempting to find her place in the high school world, along with her friends Rayanne and Rickie. Her quest to have the quintessential high school bad boy, Jordan Catalano (Jared Leto) also helps to create a conflict-filled high school series that doesn’t sugarcoat the experience.

“The Office” (BBC Two, 2001-2003): Hulu must have realized I was putting this list together, because I looked on Hulu’s Facebook page, and this show was featured as a brand-new addition yesterday. This show goes without saying; it beget the American version (and numerous others worldwide), and any fan of the American version needs to see this version for themselves. Whether you prefer the broader comedy of the American version or the dry humor (or humour, since we are talking about a British show), both are essential viewing. The series finale Christmas special, like the Christmas finale on Gervais' show "Extras," is a hilarious and touching way to end a series.

I’m sure you’re all overwhelmed already by the amount of hours you’ll be staring at the computer screen, so for now, I’ll leave you with these three shows. In my next entry, I’ll feature other Hulu gems.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know My So-Called Life was all on Hulu! I've been wanting to watch that forever. Awesome. I love Freaks and Geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooooo!

    It's too late for me to choke down 'Strangers With Candy'! I am very, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Strangers with Candy!

    (and the red and black film posters you were talking about! they are so simple!)

    tobeshelved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaks and Geeks was an awesome show. I love those shows of my yesteryear (Boy Meets World, Wonder Years, Family Matters, etc. etc.). I'm going to have to check out this show though

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished My So-Called Life. I wish there'd been more! The last episode didn't close up everything.

    ReplyDelete