Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hulu highlights, part two

For many students, it's almost time for spring break, which means there are numerous exams, papers and projects due before break. Therefore, we all need some television to distract us. Last week, I provided a few shows to waste your time, but if you're a procrastinator like me, you need more. Therefore, I offer part two of my "Hulu highlights" series.

"Spaced" (Channel 4 UK, 1999-2001): Before Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright brought "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" to American audiences, they were a part of this absurd look at the lives of twentysomethings struggling to find their place in the world. Pegg and Jessica Stevenson star as strangers who pretend to be a couple in order to secure a London flat, and the show chronicles their lives and their friends’ antics. Filled with rapid-fire popular culture references and jokes both subtle and absurdly obvious, "Spaced" is a great look at what it’s like to live in the modern world: you’re without a purpose, but popular culture keeps you sane. Plus, on a personal note, I see a lot of Stevenson’s character’s struggles as my present and future attempts to be a writer.

"The Unusuals" (ABC, 2009): I bet ABC is regretting the cancellation of this offbeat New York City police comedy-drama last year. Its star, Jeremy Renner, wasn’t well-known when the show premiered last year. Now? He may win the Best Actor Academy Award for "The Hurt Locker" on Sunday night. Harold Perrineau and Adam Goldberg’s hilarious characters steal the show, and you’ll find yourself missing them incredibly when the ten episodes are done.

"The Larry Sanders Show" (HBO, 1992-1998): Jeremy Piven pre-hair plugs. I could probably leave that as the only reason to watch this show. Garry Shandling, George Bluth Sr. (sorry, I mean Jeffrey Tambor), Don Geiss (or, my favorite alleged bank-robber, Rip Torn), and Romy and Michele’s classmate Heather Mooney (alright, that one’s a bit obscure, I’m referring to Janeane Garofalo) star in this show-within-a-show about the ins and outs of running a late-night talk show. In light of Conan O'Brien’s drama with NBC (side note, make sure to follow Conan on Twitter!), this show proves especially poignant, and it’s a great show for people interested in the media.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You have convinced me to watch My So Called Life and The Unusuals. And I love that you mentioned Americone Dream because it is the best.

    ReplyDelete