Friday, March 12, 2010

Maybe by the year 3000, we can all see Conan O'Brien

I apologize if this entry sounds whiny, because, frankly, I'm not in the best of moods. Once again, someone (in this case, formerly) associated with NBC has broken my heart. And this one really stings.

Rumors began swirling a couple of weeks ago that Conan O'Brien was going to be using his time in unemployment to go on the road for a cross-country tour. Well, that rumor was confirmed today. Tour dates for O'Brien's "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television Tour" were not only announced today, but, unfairly, the tickets also went on sale at the same exact time dates were announced. I woke up today, excited about the prospects of buying tickets in the near future, only to go on Ticketmaster to find that any dates I could potentially attend were sold out already. This is because the lucky people who happened to have Internet and credit card access at 10 a.m. this morning got the first and only opportunities for tickets.

So, this has been my feeling all day (image is via TinyPic, although I'm 99 percent positive someone from ONTD made it):

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It is not right that those behind this tour did not give fans advanced warning about tickets going on sale, and sprung the sale upon people at the last minute, leaving people to scramble to attempt to get any tickets. Additionally, I have a problem with the dates themselves. As an Ohioan, I'm upset that the two Chicago dates are essentially representing all of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. Plus, with the monumental demand for tickets, playing venues that seat less than 5,000 people (such as the Chicago Theatre) just does not allow for the massive amount of O'Brien's fans to see this tour. His main demographic has traditionally been college students, and I feel that it would have been more suitable for O'Brien to play on college campuses and sell more tickets for cheaper prices, so that more students could afford them. The cheapest tickets for the Chicago shows were $39.50, but on eBay, they are currently going for hundreds of dollars.

Reading the tag line for the shows, "A night of music, comedy, hugging, and the occasional awkward silence" just makes me all the sadder to be missing it, because that sounds like heaven. I would love to hear O'Brien perform with his guitar, and I'm very jealous of the lucky souls who will get to see him. I just hope that for the people who were not lucky enough to secure a ticket, there will be other opportunities to see the show (a DVD release would be fantastic).

Were you a lucky person who bought a ticket, or were you left feeling like Pierre Bernard in his Recliner of Rage, ranting like I am about not getting a seat? Let me know, and we can wallow in our sadness together.



Also, on a side note, I do have to say that NBC is doing one thing right. They are allowing Brian Williams to make hilarious appearances on numerous television shows. Thank you, NBC. Also, one more kudos to NBC and "Saturday Night Live" for confirming that Betty White will host the show on May 8.

4 comments:

  1. That is quite ridiculous about the tickets. I'm in the same boat, I don't have a credit card or anything so I'm stuck buying tickets at the door and that usually fails for things other than movies. And of course, a majority of the people that got all those tickets are bulk buyers proceeding to sell them for hundreds on Ebay. That should really be illegal or something, it's stupid and unfair.
    I'm excited for this Saturday's SNL because Jude Law is hosting :) But I'm an epic fangirl of him and Rubber Ducky Jr. so I may be biased lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like everyone I know here in Chicago is going but me. It makes me very sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in Ohio too and I was PISSED when I saw the best likely tickets were Chicago. wtf? I feel your pain bb!

    and I loooove that gif

    (btw, hitting you up from ontd!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed all the Brian Williams appearances as well!

    Also when I read about the confirmation of Betty White on SNL, I thought of you right away. I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete