Friday, March 26, 2010

Social networks and live blogs make television personal

The lines between television and the Internet have blurred in recent years, and with the rise of social networking and live blogging, that change is accelerated.

Social network Web sites such as Twitter and online communities such as LiveJournal’s entertainment and celebrity gossip page Oh No They Didn’t allow for strangers all over the world to connect and discuss television shows and events live, as they unfold on the screen.

Dr. Montana Miller, a popular culture professor at Bowling Green State University, says that social networks and Internet communities are gaining popularity because they can help create bonds that would not have occurred in real life.

“It offers companionship,” she said. “With communities, there’s a sense that you’re watching with friends. In chats I read, many users say ‘I’m so glad to be watching with you,’ or ‘I didn’t use to enjoy these evens until I was talking to you guys.’”

Miller’s analysis is reflected on sites like Oh No They Didn’t, which hosts discussion posts for every major award show aired on television, in which users can discuss the winners, losers and shocking moments. For the Oscars earlier this month, four discussion posts were made, with members creating over 20,000 comments on the show throughout the evening. “Entertainment Weekly” offers live blogging pages for major award shows as well, showing that major media outlets, and not just smaller Web sites and blogs, are connecting televised events with Internet content.

As Miller noted, users do express their happiness for finding the groups so they can express their feelings about television events frequently viewed by individuals at home. On a “Saturday Night Live” discussion post (another Oh No They Didn’t staple), user “eeagle” wrote, “[sic] this episode was epic and i glad i got to spend it with you guys!” User “kerfuffleboat” found that the posts are worthwhile and enjoyable for the virtual company they supply. “[Sic] I missed the last two posts here and I was actively sad about not being around for them. idk [I don’t know] if that's pathetic or if it means ~we've all bonded.~ I'll go with the latter!”

“For those who are interested in a show, you can watch it at home and not think twice,” said Dr. Chuck Coletta, a colleague of Miller’s in the popular culture department at BGSU. “With fan communities online, people who are really interested in a show, they may be the only ones in their towns who are interested. People want to connect, so they Google [a show], and people find each other.”

Coletta argues that shows such as “LOST” allow for long-term blogging projects that can allow users to develop complex theories for shows, and they can feel a bigger attachment to the show and the show’s fans. “’LOST’ is the best example, it’s intricate and fast,” he said. “TV and the computer are going to be one thing, with running comments during the show, and LOST live blogs give users all the control now.”

Miller also sees award shows as common discussion fodder, as well as reality shows. “The sites I watch discuss ‘Jon and Kate Plus 8’ and 16 and Pregnant,’ and I’m surprised so many people watch them.”




What does everyone think of social networking and television? Do you enjoy it, or do you find it distracting and uninteresting? Is it changing television, or just a passing fad? Leave a comment with your thoughts!


Part two of my story is posted here, so be sure to check it out!

5 comments:

  1. This is really interesting, thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true on the 'offering companionship' idea. Not many of my friends were into the Golden Globes so I 'watched' it with ONTD and it was just as fun since I was able to read hundreds of reactions and thoughts rather than just the few in the room. Plus, no interruptions from talkative guests : P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Marisha... These Internet communities may be not only changing the way we watch television but also the way we cope with NOT having access to television. For example, in the chat room I told you I've been observing, when a TV show is being discussed live, many posters are curiously asking questions because they don't have a TV, do not get the channel, or are on the West Coast where the show hasn't yet aired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting! I enjoyed reading it. I think it's true, though. I enjoy watching shows on my own or with friends, but for some reason, it's so fun for me to be part of discussion posts (on ONTD), especially the Saturday Night Live ones. It's nice to actually connect with people who like the show, whereas I can't really talk about the show with my friends / co-workers because only a select few actually watch or like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to go onto a DC Comics messageboard after airings of the greatest cartoon ever, Justice League, and could feel that intimacy. I believe its great for someone to go on and ask a specific question they wondered about. 15 years ago, this was impossible. But now its not.

    I do think people go too far in this, and do role plays, write fiction and just get carried away.

    I do believe it serves more positives than negatives though.

    ReplyDelete