Friday, March 5, 2010

Dead in the water: shows that jumped the shark



It’s a common crisis for all writers: the creative slump. It’s the moment in which you have to reach for the extreme in order to fulfill your writing obligations, and the results are often unbearable. In television, this creative failure is known as “Jumping the Shark” (originating from the “Happy Days” episode in which Fonzie, literally, jumps over a shark, thus beginning the show’s demise). It’s happened to many shows in the past, and it will surely happen to many in the future. These are some of the shows that suffered some of the biggest creative slumps in recent years.

“Big Love:” This was a unique look at a polygamist family living in secrecy, trying to balance public life and complicated family lives (Bill Paxton and Chloe Sevigny’s characters lived on a polygamist compound for some time, and that compound is a major plot point). Now it’s a show that crams too many pointless and unnecessary plotlines into short seasons. The relationship between sister wives Sevigny, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Ginnifer Goodwin are is only remaining strength of the show.

“Glee:” I was attracted to “Glee” because I used to be a big fan of creator Ryan Murphy’s other show, “Nip/Tuck” (we’ll get to them in a moment) and it was set in nearby Lima, Ohio (I expected more Ohio-related jokes than the show has delivered). I’m not a musical fan, but I watched the pilot that aired in May, and loved it. I was eagerly anticipating the show’s fall 2009 premiere, but it did not live up to its hype. Jane Lynch is fantastic, but for me, even her character isn’t enough to keep me sitting through ridiculous plot lines that often go nowhere. I know it’s supposed to be a cheesy, fun show, but some of the musical numbers (“Gold Digger,” mainly) are just cringe-worthy.

“Weeds:” The show started off quite well, with hilarious characters and engrossing plot lines. You rooted for Mary-Louise Parker’s pot-dealing widow to succeed, and her relationships with her suppliers and fellow suburbanites were fun to watch. After a while, the shtick got old, characters came and went, and it became difficult to root for Parker’s character after a while, since she always manages to get away from danger every single time (usually by using sex to get herself out of these situations), and acts completely selfishly.

“Two and a Half Men:” It is the epitome of everything that is wrong with television today (bland, repetitive humor that uses an excessive amount of crudeness and insults the intelligence of the viewer. I’m not a prude, but if you’re going to be “raunchy,” be funny as well.), and it angers me to see that it is the number one comedy on television. Plus, it stars Charlie Sheen, whom I despise, and Jon Cryer stole Jack McBrayer’s Emmy last year. I’ve hated it since the beginning of its run, but I think I have a reason to say that it “became” stupid. The other day, I was having a conversation with my grandmother, who is in the prime audience demographic for this show, and she said she could no longer stomach the show’s repetitive and crude humor. She made a wise decision and quit watching, and I hope more people emulate her.

“Entourage:” Like “Weeds,” this show’s plots are incredibly repetitive, and go nowhere. Vince is in a new movie. This means his clingy friends will score with women way out of their league for the umpteenth time this season, fantastic. Wow, there’s another party at a rich guest star’s mansion, I haven’t seen that yet, at least I haven’t seen it in this episode! All of the show’s seasons began to run together in my mind, and while Jeremy Piven’s Ari Gold is an amusing character, there can be too much of a good thing, and even he became unbearable.

“Nip/Tuck:” Like the month we are in, this show came in like a lion, and out like a lamb. Controversial, ridiculous and sexually graphic, “Nip/Tuck” managed to turn the unrealistic trials and tribulations of two Miami (later Los Angeles-based) plastic surgeons in the bedroom and operating room into addictive television. Once the show introduced the ridiculous “Carver” arc of season three, this show crossed the line from being enjoyably trashy and campy into an eye-roll inducing wreck. The show just ended Wednesday night, and I have no desire to see how it ended. For my money, I’ll stick with Ryan Murphy’s “Popular” instead of this or “Glee.”

“Veronica Mars:” This is one of my favorite shows. The first season of the show, which focuses on Kristen Bell’s titular heroine looking to solve the murder of her best friend, was one of the best televisions seasons of the last decade. Season two wasn’t as strong as season one, but it’s the show’s final season that lost me. “Dawson’s Creek” lost a lot of creative gusto when it moved the characters to college, and “Veronica Mars” made the same mistake in season three. The “mysteries of the week” Veronica solved weren’t as captivating, and the half-season long arcs weren’t compelling either. Granted, I will place blame on the CW network, which clearly made creator Rob Thomas change the show to fit a broader, newer audience when the CW formed (it aired on UPN until the UPN-WB merger). However, it’s still a creative mess, no matter who gets the blame.

“South Park:” I miss episodes like the one I am currently watching, “the Mexican Staring Frog of Southern Sri Lanka.” Referencing Mark Twain, having Jesus Christ battle redneck hunters in the quest for television show ratings? That’s the randomness of the show that I love. I feel the show has become nearly unbearable with the incessant need to be completely topical. The earlier seasons, with the cruder humor, are much more enjoyable and effectively balance silliness and satire.

“The Osbournes:” I’m not a big reality television fan, but the first season of this show yielded some fantastically hilarious moments. Who can forget Ozzy Osbourne throwing the ham into their loud neighbors’ yard? It was outrageous, yet it felt absolutely real. However, once the show became a hit and returned for subsequent seasons, the bar had t be raised. In later seasons, the family was clearly acted in staged or scripted situations, and minus Jack Osbourne’s ecstatic “Ooh, McRib is back!” proclamation, anything past season one is terrible.

“The Office:” It breaks my heart to say this. One of my favorite television shows of all time, I have been obsessed with the show for years. It managed to carve out an identity separate from its British predecessor, and seasons two and three were brilliant. However, in subsequent seasons, it became clear that both the writers were trying to dumb down the show to appeal to a broader audience, and they were hitting creative slumps. These days, Dwight Schrute has gone from ridiculous but realistic to just being ridiculous, unrealistic and just outright annoying. Good for Pam for finding love and gaining confidence, but did she have to become so self-righteous in the process? I see why Ricky Gervais ended the British version so early, it’s better to go out on top than to break the hearts of fans week after week.

Do you agree with my choices, or do you want to defend the show’s I’ve mentioned? Have any other shows that I omitted (I watch a lot of television, but I don’t watch every show, so I may have missed some shows.) that you wish to vent about? Leave a comment!

7 comments:

  1. I rarely give up on shows but I stopped watching Weeds and The Office because they became so unfunny and the characters lost their charm. Gotta agree with Glee too, especially since the more I think about it the more offensive it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree about The Office and Entourage (I only watched one season, but even then I knew it'd be the same ol' thing every episode), I gotta disagree about Glee. I don't think a show can "jump the shark" after only like 16 (right? idk how many it is. insert appropriate number here) episodes. Many of the episodes don't have that special moment that the first episode did - that moment when they started singing Don't Stop Believing that you were like DAMN - but it hasn't gone completely off the end. It is very much still alive, although it has a nasty flu right now.
    Plus, putting it on the same list as Two And A Half Men? That's just mean. That show is everything that is wrong with television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely with your assessment of Two and a Half Men. It's depressing to think that that show is the most popular comedy in America. As far as Glee is concerned, I agree with you to a point, but I also think that the show hasn't even had a full season yet, so I am going to wait until the final 9 episodes in order to see what direction it goes. Many of the plot points and character developments were rushed because the creators were not told until late that the show was being picked up. Thus, they tried to basically cram an entire season into 12 episodes, and now they have to make 9 more that coherently fit with the first 12, so it will be interesting to see where the show goes.

    Another show driving me nuts on TV right now...The Marriage Ref. Everything about it makes me want to throw my TV through a window. Also I was not impressed by the pilot of Parenthood either. To me, it seemed like it was trying to be Brothers and Sisters, only with children and not as well made. Saddens me a bit because i love Peter Krause and Lauren Graham, but in general it was underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on South Park (when it gets the topicality right, though, it's still genius, but it's been hit or miss). I know they do it because more people are likely to be like "oh yeah I remember that from 3 days ago LOL" than to follow the story of what happens between the characters, but still. I also think some of it gets to be way too preachy (i.e. "The F Word" episode that aired concerning bikers and a gay slur).

    To me, Weeds is on the upswing. Granted, it fell really really hard ~Season 4 (the move to Mexico was jarring and Nancy did become 1000% less sympathetic of a character), but the last season ended on a bit of a higher note. It became funnier, but it still has a heck of a lot of problems to fix before it gets back to the early levels. I still hold out hope for a Conrad/Heylia return, though I know that's unrealistic, especially since Romany Malco has a new pilot.

    I semi-disagree about The Osbournes. While the first season was obviously the funniest and most authentic, I think Sharon's cancer plotline was something really interesting to watch unfold. The second season was also pretty good (not but OMG AWESOME) to see how they dealt with the fame; Ozzy had been famous for decades, but it had been a while since he was the "hot thing" in pop culture. In the second season, Sharon didn't have a show, Jack didn't have a book/show, Kelly didn't have a record deal (I don't think), and it just continued the whole fish-out-of-water story that made the first season so captivating to watch.

    Really good read, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on Two and a Half Men. I watched that show for about a month because nothing else was on. That was more than enough for me, and I turn it off whenever it comes on now. I'd rather wath c-span than that show.

    I only slightly disagree with you on one show in particular. I personally think that South Park has more "come into its own" later on in its run. The episode I'm thinking of is the recent one with Cartman and the (Glenn Beck) "what happened to my schooooool" bit. Yes, it's topical, but it's fairly good satire. I think it could be improved, but I like it better than the "let's just be crude and/or random for kicks" place where it started.
    Just my $.02. :) You have some good points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Compleeeeeeeetyly disagree with you (and apparently everyone else) about Two and Half Men. While it can be crude, I think it's more of a "potty humor" than a sexual humor. Maybe it's just because I have a 16 year old brother who reminds me of Jake, but I love it. The characters have stayed true to themselves, but at the same time, they have developed. Charlie Sheen may be an ass in real life (and on the show) but he's shown some drastic development--he was even willing to give up on his "bachelorhood" and get married! And Alan's increasing "stingyness" is just hilarious. This is actually one of the few shows my boyfriend I make sure that we record.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very big fan of nip tuck and the plot of ur blog is very good.IF any fan of nip tuck want to Watch Nip Tuck Online, can watch from here.

    ReplyDelete