Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Joel McHale and Craig Ferguson make casual, candid conversation

While late night television can be viewed as a way to entertain America just before they go to bed, Hollywood has a different idea. These shows are a perfect way for media conglomerates to allow for their respective stars to shill out their latest movies, television shows and musicians' albums. The conversations between the host and the guest are often predetermined before filming, and the two rarely have any knowledge about one another beyond what they're promoting.

Monday night, "Community" star and "The Soup" host Joel McHale, one of the funniest men in show business right now, appeared on "The Late Late Show." Since I've always preferred Conan O'Brien (and once he was hosting the "Tonight Show," I usually just left on Jimmy Fallon), I hadn't really given host Craig Ferguson much of a chance. However, since NBC is now dead to me, more or less, I've been checking out Ferguson more, and I'm beginning to realize what I've been missing. His interview with McHale shows that not only is he funny, but can be very genuine with his guests.

Their rapport is casual and friendly, and doesn't feel staged for the studio audience. You can tell that McHale and Ferguson have developed a certain degree of friendship off-camera, and that they really aren't trying too hard to be funny and jovial. When in the company of one another, they are naturally hilarious and laid-back. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Plus, now I want a robot impersonating David Caruso, who plays the "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" part of "We Won't Get Fooled Again" as it takes off its glasses.

As always, Oh No They Didn't helped me see the video.





I'm beginning to see why people like Ferguson as much as they do. Last month, he decided to do a show sans audience, simply hanving an hour-long conversation with comedian Stephen Fry. As Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly noted, "What was new [...] was this old-fashioned hour, in which two people conversed in an enlightening, deceptively casual way. It was terrific to see two pros like this." Ferguson is not only funny, but fascinating. Part one of the show with Fry is here.

What does everyone think of McHale, Ferguson and Fry? Do you also find yourself captivated and amused by Ferguson's interviews? Do you have any other late-night highlights? Leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. Craig is my favorite to watch for late night. He's genuine and doesn't take himself seriously, which is why I find him so intriguing. Also the episode he did with Stephen Fry was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. Granted I am biased because I am a huge Fry fan, but I found it to be really interesting and showed a completely different potential side of the late night genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love McHale. I've never watched Ferguson before but after seeing this I might give him a try.

    ReplyDelete