Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baffled by "The Bachelor"

I hate to do so, but I have to admit to watching my fair share of pointless reality shows in my life. I will not recall Christmas 2009 as a white Christmas, but rather an orange Christmas, as a result of my pathetic fascination with the mostly deplorable but oddly hilarious "Jersey Shore" cast. "The Real World: Las Vegas" was incredibly trashy, but my parents and I watched it religiously every week (yes, I sat around the television watching this show with my parents, because they could trust me knowing that I wouldn't turn out like the people on the show.), it remains my favorite season of the show that I watched (I've since given it up). I tend to be harsh on the reality genre for its poor quality and pointlessness, probably unfairly so. However, there is one show whose appeal I never understood, and that is "The Bachelor."

For eight years, ABC has broadcast 14 seasons (and five of the spin-off "Bachelorette" series) of a good-looking, and often financially gifted man's quest for love, because apparently in the real world, those two attributes wouldn't help these men find a woman, and they need the help from a national television show. All season long, the contestants are whittled down to one "winner," who on many occasions is proposed to by the bachelor. In the meantime, ridiculous sexual escapades, staged romantic dinners and awkward moments (returning contestants, bad singers, and in one "Bachelorette" season, a contestant who used his camera time to discuss his foot fetish, complete with mimed actions) fill up the 42 minutes each week.

I just cannot understand the show's continued popularity (the last season's finale drew a depressingly high 15 million viewers). The main reason I find the ongoing success of "The Bachelor" so baffling is the fact that the show often yields completely pointless outcomes. As of season 14, only one couple is married, one is currently engaged (but that is because it was the season that just ended two weeks ago. Give it time, this may end like the others.), and one couple is dating. That's less than one quarter of the couples surviving long-term. Why would you want to waste your time watching this "drama" unfold with the rose ceremonies and the shameless sexual moments when chances are, the people on screen are not compatible once the cameras are turned off and the cash stops flowing from ABC?

One other reason I have a problem with the franchise: like many other reality shows, they are just made up of actors who are looking to get their face on TV, and will appear on a show under the guise of a "reality" competition. If a person is likable, they will have a certain amount of job security. ABC is becoming notorious for its synergy between their shows, first with the "Bachelorette" spin-off, and now "Dancing With the Stars." Season 14's Jake Pavelka will be on the show starting Monday, and season 13's proposal pick and eventual reject Melissa Rycroft participated last year ("Bachelor" Jason Mesnick proposed to her, but later broke it off to marry his runner-up, Molly Malaney). I do not blame these people for looking for work, but I just cannot buy into this fake show. In fact, I feel guilty thinking about the show long enough to write this blog.

So, "Bachelor" fans, why do you watch? Am I completely missing the point of the show, or am I just an awful cynic who hates love (well, actually, I don't know if I'll debate you on that.)? Plead you case for interest in the show in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first season I've ever watched the Bachelor. My roommate and I really disliked Jake and all the girls on the show. We were mostly watching to mock it I guess. The show is so dramatic and, like you said, pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I saw your comment on ONTD and decided to read your blog!

    I have to agree with you. The bachelor is a terrible show, but I somehow got suckered into watching it. Jake was overwhelmingly a cliched romantic. I think the most baffling part of this show and shows like the hills are there are no real conversations. Someone will say something and it will lead to a few camera glances back and forth!

    I only kept watching because my roommate is addicted, plus I started rooting for Ally to win and Vienna to lose :( oh well!

    good luck on your project/homework!

    ReplyDelete