Thursday, June 10, 2010

Great Glee moments: top 5 performances this season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(Just because I feel like a Sue Sylvester gif is absolutely necessary in one's daily life.)

SPOILER ALERT: If you have not yet watched the season finale of Glee, do not read any farther.

I've mentioned many times that I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Glee. When the pilot of the show aired in May 2009, I loved it, because it was hilarious and, even though they were cheesy, I enjoyed the song covers.

Then, by the middle of the season, I became incredibly annoyed by the inconsistent plot lines. One example is Quinn's pregnancy and the resolution to that plot line last night, in which Idina Menzel's Shelby Corcoran, who is also Rachel's mother, adopted Quinn's daughter, Beth. As Ken Tucker points out, it's kind of rude for Shelby to shun her own biological daughter just for a 'newer' model, if you will. If the writers were trying to make Shelby an unlikable character, they succeeded in that respect, but if they were simply attempting to get rid of Beth in a quick manner, then I think that was a little misguided.

However, for once, I'm not here to bash the show. Since the regular shows I watch have ended, I decided to watch these last few episodes of Glee this season, and, cheesiness, plot inconsistencies and weak character development aside, I still found myself enjoying the show, due to what makes the show: the performances.

I rather enjoyed the Madonna songs, especially Jane Lynch's ridiculously outrageous version of "Vogue." And, as a big Lady Gaga fan (while I don't want this summer to go by quickly, I am also eagerly anticipating Sept. 4, when I see Gaga live), I thought those performances were well done, and the costumes were really great.

Last night, I found myself with a huge smile on my face throughout the show. The performances were fantastic, and even someone who hates the show and the karaoke aspects of the show would probably find it difficult to deny that the performances were catchy. They reminded me why I enjoyed the show in the first place.

With that said, here are my picks for the top five performances on Glee this year.

5. Like A Prayer - The choir-style background of the rest of the cast is strong and sing-along-worthy, much like the original Madonna song. It's difficult to listen to this song without clapping along. Guest star Jonathan Groff makes for a strong duet with Lea Michele (both of whom starred together on Broadway in Spring Awakening).

4. Dream On - There are moments on the show, usually involving Matthew Morrison, which make me cringe (see: "I Wanna Sex You Up," "Gold Digger"). However, this showcases his voice quite well. Guest star Neil Patrick Harris' voices complements Matt's in such a way that it creates an insanely powerful performance. Even though their characters were competing against one another, their competition yielded this great song. Next to Josh Groban, he's the guest star that I'd love to see return the most next year. Also, Danny Gokey: THIS is how you perform that falsetto.

3. To Sir, With Love - This was probably my favorite performance from last night. While it's certainly a love song, and probably not the most appropriate song for students to sing to their teacher (much like Lea and Idina's "Poker Face" duet, which I also enjoyed), it still seamlessly fit in with last night's show. The "with love" was not sung with a romantic connotation, but rather it perfectly expresses the admiration the club has for its leader. It's sickly saccharine, but that's why it works.

2. Bad Romance - I rather enjoyed this performance because it allowed for a lot of voices to be heard. It sounded so much like the original, yet, it didn't feel like some sort of K-Tel version of the song, either. It wasn't as weird as Gaga's version, rather, it worked to showcase the catchy nature of the song.

1. Don't Stop Believin' - The original song that made America fall in love with the show. I despise Journey with a burning passion, and this song makes me cringe 99% of the time. However, there is something about this version, with its epic buildup and powerful performance from Lea, it's rather irresistible. Anything that makes me put aside said Journey hatred much be good. I enjoyed last night's version with more of the club getting solo moments, which I loved, but I still have to say that the original is the best.

(Also, for the record, "Poker Face," "Somebody To Love" and "Alone" were all tough to cut out of my top 5).

Agree or disagree? As I said, I've missed a number of episodes, and while I've made efforts to listen to songs from said episodes, I may have missed some other good performances. So, I'd love to hear others' picks for their favorites this season.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Defying Gravity- finally showcasing Kurt. The only time it ever happens.
    2. Sweet Caroline- because I ADORE Puck.
    3. Don't Stop Believeing- the song that started the whole show <3
    4. Bad Romance- because they gave Gaga a run for her money. I know that's almost blasphemy.
    5. Dancing With Myself- This is the only time they show you Artie and he rose to the occasion <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just reminded me that Glee is over and now I'm experiencing withdraw symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 110% Glleeeeek. I cannot handle life without my tuesday night Glee fill. The plot was yes, inconsistent at times but it was just so hard NOT to love. Gah, Fox finally got a show right! :)

    Don't Rain On My Parade gave me chiiiiiillllls!!!! I would have a hard time picking top five just because well, I love them all so very much each for different reasons!

    ReplyDelete