Thursday, June 3, 2010

Remembering Rue McClanahan




I hate days like this. I really do.

As I'm sure everyone's heard, Rue McClanahan, best known for playing slutty Southern belle Blanche Deveraux on the Golden Girls, passed away this morning at the age of 76 after suffering a stroke on Monday. This means that the likely savior of the free world, Betty White, is the only surviving member of the girls (Bea Arthur, who portrayed Dorothy Zbornak, died in April 2009 and Estelle Getty, who played Dorothy's mother, Sophia Petrillo, died in July 2008).

Death is, sadly, a natural part of life, and when you're discussing actresses who were on a show that featured the lives of seniors TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO, it's not like these women haven't lived long lives. But, it's still very sad.

Like so many people my age, I became a fan of the show thanks to my grandma. When I would stay overnight at her house in elementary school, she'd ask me to turn off my Disney VHS tapes so she could watch the Golden Girls that aired on Lifetime at 2 a.m. or so (yes, my grandma's pretty cool, she isnt' the type to go to bed at 4 in the afternoon so she can be at the Country Kitchen Buffet by 6 a.m.). I, of course, assumed it was going to be a very boring show that I'd hate, because, well, I was 6 or 7 years old and who likes shows their grandma likes?

Before long, during the summer months I would turn on Lifetime every night to see these ladies. I didn't always get the jokes due to being so young, but Rose's ridiculous stories and Sophia's entire existence killed me. The show reminds me so much of my childhood, and I love knowing that my grandma helped me to discover one of the funniest shows ever, which I wouldn't have otherwise known about. I hate calling my grandma and telling her that one of the Girls has died, because it just reminds me that those days of my childhood are over.

While Rue was best known for being Blanche, she also appeared in numerous Broadway productions, including a stint as Shiz University headmistress Madame Morrible in Wicked from 2005-06. She also played Vivian, the best friend of Maude Findlay on Maude (played by Bea Arthur, of course).

In fact, Rue originally auditioned to play Rose Nylund on the Golden Girls and Betty auditioned for the role of Blanche, but it was decided that the two were both auditioning for roles similar to their past work (Betty was famous for playing the cruel and sardonic Sue Ann Nivens on the Mary Tyler Moore Show), so they switched the roles, and two television icons were born.

From all accounts, Rue seemed like an incredibly funny and sweet woman who loved and respected her fans just as they loved and respected her. She was a breast cancer survivor and animal rights activist. And, for so many people, through her roles, she was a friend. Thank you for being a friend, indeed, Rue. I hope Bea and Estelle were waiting for you at the gates, ready to make a tawdry joke about Blanche and her, well, experience with men.


This is easily Blanche's best moment, in which she hallucinates after an all-night book writing session.




And, since I love destroying peoples' lives by helping people procrastinate with television, this YouTube account has EVERY episode of the Golden Girls. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment