Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Steve Carell departs the Office, should the show end too?

At Monday's premiere of Despicable Me, the film's star, Steve Carell, repeated the statement he made back in April, that the upcoming seventh season of the Office would be his last. Upon initially hearing this news, like many fans, this was my reaction:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Then, I began to think about it more, and I realize that, if played correctly, Steve's departure could be a blessing in disguise to the show's quality. Many, if not most fans of the show feel that the show's quality has drastically decreased in the last few seasons. However, since it's still a cash cow to NBC, there's little danger of it being cancelled in 2011. So, instead of having a set end date, like with Friends, they'll let it limp by season after season.

So, as someone who views Thursdays as the highlight of my week because of NBC's Comedy Night Done Right, I think Steve's departure should mark the end of the show. Since Jim and Pam have married (which would have been another good end note for the series), I think Michael Scott leaving would be the most logical end point for the show in 2011.

Seven seasons is a lot in television, and the Office is truly a success story for the struggling NBC. They believed in the show when it was not popular, and it eventually became beloved. As a result, it would be best for them, and the writers and producers of the show, to give it a proper ending. I'd rather have an "early" fantastic ending than a closure that is sub-par and dragged out over seasons.

Here's my idea for the show's final season.

Jo Bennett (Kathy Bates) follows through on her promise to look into transferring Holly Flax (Amy Ryan) back to Scranton. However, the only compromise she can make is to give Holly a promotion at corporate headquarters in New York City (not Scranton, but much closer than Nashua, N.H.) at the beginning of the season, allowing Toby to once again ruin Michael's life. The two date long distance over the course of the season, and eventually, a management position opens up at Corporate for Michael, allowing him to move to New York to live with Holly. His going away gift will be a year's supply of Nightswept and a showing of the documentary (which has been licensed to a channel like IFC).

Jim and Pam continue working at Dunder Mifflin, while Pam sells artwork on the side, hoping to eventually make it a career. Do we know what else Jim likes to do? I feel like we don't, so I really can't think of an alternative career option for Jim. Stanley will be able to retire. Meredith will meet a friend with benefits on the Internet. Andy and Oscar realize their true love for one another. Kevin and Stacy get back together. Kelly and Ryan move in together, with Ryan regularly going to hipster band shows in New York and Philadelphia. Dwight and Isabel get married, and, this may seem insane, but I see Angela and Mose beginning a relationship (if only so we can see Mose again before the series ends). I've yet to figure out happy endings for Phyllis/Bob, Erin and Toby, but I'm sure that can be worked out in due time.

We see that Creed has once again begun playing music again, and he has begun a small club tour in Pennsylvania. The last ever scene of the show? Creed getting ready to engage in a drugs and sex filled romp on his tour with a bunch of groupies. Lots of peach cobbler will be involved, and someone will probably have their wallet, and subsequently, their identity stolen by Creed in the morning.


Of course, since this is television we're talking about, none of this will happen. The rest of the cast is under contract for an eighth season, meaning we'll have to suffer through another lackluster season which is made worse by the departure of one of the main characters (see Scrubs, NewsRadio, although the circumstances surrounding that show were a little different, sadly). The show will suffer in the ratings and go out like a lamb with an unsatisfying conclusion. What can I say? I'm a pessimist, and this is NBC we're talking about, who will milk this cash cow for as long as they can.

It sounds crazy, a die-hard fan wishing for the end of one's favorite show. It's not that I want the Office out of my life. It's just that, unless it can dramatically improve this next year, I'd rather see it put out of its misery with dignity and care in 2011. Michael Scott is not the only reason I watch the show, but he is an integral part of it, and I honestly believe that Steve's departure would allow for a poignant and funny end to a series that has brought me many laughs over the years.

Am I crazy, or do Office fans agree with me? Do you have your own thoughts about the quality level of the show over the years? Have any more insane ideas about how it should end? Leave a comment!

1 comment:

  1. Your potential series ending is hilarious, and would be perfect! Although, I really love Andy/Erin and I'd like to see them together and I want more to happen between Oscar and that warehouse guy.
    I would be happy if they actually finished the series after season 7. It's had a great run and like you said, its quality has decreased as of late. Jim and Pam are happy (and we all know the first three seasons revolved around their relationship so that storyline is basically complete) and to be quite honest I do not care to see much more of their picture perfect life with the baby and all. I was so glad Jo said she'd see if she could get Holly back, and I really hope she and Michael end up back together again. Fingers crossed that they don't drag out the show for more unnecessary seasons...

    ReplyDelete