Thursday, July 1, 2010

RIP Party Down and NinjaVideo (but you didn't hear that from me)

Television cancellations are no fun. This was proven today when Starz announced they were cancelling Party Down and Gravity. I never watched Gravity, but I did enjoy Party Down, so this made me sad. It was like a mini-Veronica Mars reunion, with hilarious characters and great one-liners.

It doesn't come as much of a surprise, really. The season finale only garnered 74,000 viewers, and this season, star Jane Lynch left to join Glee full-time, and Adam Scott's hilarious role on Parks and Recreation would likely cause scheduling issues. No disrespect to Starz, but I wish a show this good could have been on a network like HBO, where it could at least benefit from a bigger subscriber base and a bigger influence when it came to marketing.

On the bright side, the show did go out in prime form before it got the chance to die a slow, painful death (like the Office), so I'll choose to look at this cancellation as a bit of a blessing in disguise for the show's quality.

Since so few people actually have the Starz network, I'm betting that they probably watched the program on the Internet. Well, those who watch television shows on the Internet were dealt quite the blow today when the feds shut down sites such as TVShack.net and, my personal knight in shining armor, NinjaVideo.net.

I know the piracy argument. I understand it. To an extent, I can agree with it. But, for now, I would just like to say one thing.

Last week, I blogged about how I had fallen in love with Modern Family. Do you know how I found all 24 of the season's episodes, while helped me experience the show? Not Hulu or ABC.com, who only have five of the episodes, but NinjaVideo. I now plan on being a regular viewer of the show in the fall.

The same goes for season 2 of Chuck; season 1 was on theWB.com when I watched it last summer, which helped me really enjoy it (see? Official network sites pay off!), but it was season 2, which was on NinjaVideo, that really cemented my love for it. Subsequently, I bought both seasons on DVD. I began watching Spaced on there, and I proceeded to buy the DVD set.

Again, I can see the arguments against sites like NinjaVideo. But, it is just not rational that people are going to go out and blindly buy box sets of TV shows without previewing them. If official sites aren't going to offer them, people are going to turn to outside sources, like NinjaVideo. I watch whatever I can on Hulu or official sites, but they offer such a limited selection, they can only go so far. The Internet has helped me fall in love with television, and I would argue (and I doubt I'm alone), caused me to spend more money on the medium, because I never would have bought a big chunk of the DVDs I have without watching the shows online first.

Last week, I went to Cleveland and I found season 1 of the Channel 4 series Shameless at the library. I really love it; the problem is, there are 7 seasons of the show, and this is the only season of the show released in the US. So, I could buy season 1 here, but I would have had to have turned to NinjaVideo to watch the rest of the series. Now, I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

The Toledo-Lucas County Library, my home library, doesn't own season 1. I wouldn't have seen it had I not gone to Cleveland, so, how many people are now in the same boat? They don't have the luxury of previewing the show on DVD without buying it blindly, and have now lost a way to watch it in the first place. That could have been one more season 1 DVD sold.

Media companies should be willing to fully adapt to the demands of consumers, rather than turning to archaic methods to keep products away from consumers. 30-40 second ads on Hulu don't bother me, as I said, I try and watch as much as I can on there. But I'm not going to pay for it, and if I do pay for a full season of a show, I want a tangible DVD of it, a one-time purchase, which I can bring wherever I go, Internet or not. THAT'S portability. I will buy shows once I fall in love with them, not before I see them. I strongly believe that shutting down sites like NinjaVideo will prevent people from seeing TV shows, supporting them and giving them buzz.

I'm just really going to miss NinjaVideo. The video quality was amazing, and while I rarely watched new content on there, videos were posted so quickly after they aired. The site helped me discover so many shows thanks to its vast library. I wonder how many shows I would have fallen in love with on there had it not been removed, it's a shame.

Are you still reeling from the loss of a wonderful site? Are you glad sites like these are gone? Are there recent television cancellations that have brought sadness to your life? (Should I be terrified that the feds are going to bang down my door for admitting my love for NinjaVideo?)

13 comments:

  1. this was the best site for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best discoveries that I never would've seen without Ninjavideo: Little Mosque on the Prairie, The IT Crowd, Modern Family, Party Down, Parks & Rec.

    I'M GUTTED IT'S GONE

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg... NOW WHAT? 1/2 the time I spend on my computer I browse Ninjavideo. Sure, now I'll have less reason to sit here, but hell NINJA WAS THE BEST :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. ninja vid will be back soon with different name... dont loose hope ppl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Icefilms.info

    Run by ex ninjas.

    i hope ninja comes back, as its a lil' bit of healthy competition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ninja will be missed... lets all remember http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Ninjavideo/131797370186900

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it was the best. I hope they reopen soon.
    I doubt they caused movie studios to lose money. My son and his friends went to see Toy Story 3, most big movies are best enjoyed on the big screen, plus the new movies where all cams that were horrible quality anyway

    I have cancer, and after chemo being bedridden, I found shows I liked on NV and would go back and watch every episode. God bless you Ninja Video and I hope you find a way to come back soon,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marisha, I'm also a BGSU student. I'm in the MA American Culture Studies program. Like you, I watch way too much TV and love every minute of it. Love your blog and ninjavideo turned me on to so many shows I would have never seen otherwise. Hope to see you around BG!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. i totally found party down on ninja!! LOVEed it. sooo so sad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ninja Video should be HAILED as a Wonderful thing by the Television Studios across the globe. Not ONLY did I discover great shows and was able to go back and watch episodes of my old favorites.. But it also brought us some wonderful Documentaries and even foreign Television Shows. I am a 40 year old man who never watched much TV, but as of 10 months ago, a spinal injury has left me bed-ridden and in constant pain! Sites like Ninja-Video helped make a miserable 24 hours alot more pleasent. As an Ex-Policeman I have to agree that the Movies side was a bit of a stretch and we all knew it was illegal and sooner or later was going to get shut down.. But the Television side should have been left up and PRAISED by Studios everywhere. I know the show SONS OF ANARCHY was brought back to another season because they decided to factor in the ONLINE HITS for their episodes.. Does anyone know of a site equal or better to NINJA VIDEO that is still running for Television?
    TEXAS BADASS to TEXAS BEDHEAD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ninja Video should be HAILED as a Wonderful thing by the Television Studios across the globe. Not ONLY did I discover great shows and was able to go back and watch episodes of my old favorites.. But it also brought us some wonderful Documentaries and even foreign Television Shows. I am a 40 year old man who never watched much TV, but as of 10 months ago, a spinal injury has left me bed-ridden and in constant pain! Sites like Ninja-Video helped make a miserable 24 hours alot more pleasent. As an Ex-Policeman I have to agree that the Movies side was a bit of a stretch and we all knew it was illegal and sooner or later was going to get shut down.. But the Television side should have been left up and PRAISED by Studios everywhere. I know the show SONS OF ANARCHY was brought back to another season because they decided to factor in the ONLINE HITS for their episodes.. Does anyone know of a site equal or better to NINJA VIDEO that is still running for Television?
    TEXAS BADASS to TEXAS BEDHEAD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ninja always delivered and it will be greatly missed. It's a shame that the feds have to punish a site that promoted and encouraged television, especially for those people whose busy lives estranged them from television. No one did it like Ninja.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now what kind of world is it where WE all can want and enjoy something, and it is taken away because the people who are already rich (and who want us to watch their propagandic drivel, anyway) say MINE!!!

    Ok.

    How long did the horse and buggy last VS. the car?

    Good luck lerdos...

    ReplyDelete