Friday, July 9, 2010

Emmy nominations, LeBron James' tackiness and Steve Carell and Stephen Colbert's brilliance

It was quite the day for television Thursday, and there's a lot to discuss.

First up - the 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Award nominations were announced bright and early yesterday morning. The nominations feature a fair share of stalwarts, snubs and surprises, as always.

Plus, LeBron James inflates his ego by punching Northeast Ohio in the face on national television.

As if that weren't enough, Steve Carell made his first appearance on the Colbert Report, and the word "epic" doesn't even begin to cover it.



I'm glad to see the love for 30 Rock still continues (especially a guest actor nomination to my love Will Arnett), but I'm upset about Jack McBrayer not receiving a second nomination for Best Supporting Actor. However, I'm not overly bummed, because Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Ty Burrell helped to take his place, and I highly enjoy their characters. I feel bad that Steve Carell has never won an Emmy for playing Michael Scott, but as long as Alec Baldwin is there, I don't think it'll happen. Maybe he'll get a pity win next year if he does leave the show.

Amy Poehler getting a nomination for Best Actress for Parks and Recreaction was wonderful, but I'm saddened that the show wasn't nominated for Best Comedy, and that costar Nick Offerman was snubbed as well. Speaking of NBC snubs, I hated seeing Joel McHale present the nominations this morning, yet he, and Community, were completely snubbed. I spent my evening watching NBC's marathon on the show, and I was reminded how great it is; I know it's a regular, but I would have been fine to see Community or Parks take the Office's spot (and Curb Your Enthusiam, which I never got the hype over). Chuck was also woefully snubbed this season. While I don't watch the show, I am glad to see fan favorite Friday Night Lights finally getting Emmy attention with Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler.

Best Actor in a Drama Series will be tough. Two-time winner Bryan Cranston is amazing on Breaking Bad, but I think Michael C. Hall deserves to take the award this year. Season 4 of Dexter was so amazing, largely thanks to Hall and Guest Actor nominee John Lithgow. However, I hope Cranston's costar Aaron Paul wins Best Supporting Actor, if only for the season 3 finale of BB.

Betty White's nomination for her Saturday Night Live episode is well-deserved, and while I would like to root for Tina Fey (who was also nominated for her SNL hosting gig), Betty's episode was so much better than Tina's, so it's a no-brainer. Something else I enjoyed was seeing Two and a Half Men shut out of the Best Comedy category, and Charlie Sheen snubbed (not thrilled about Jon Cryer's nomination, I will be so upset if he wins again. The same goes for Tony Shaloub and Larry David/Curb. I also don't think that Matthew Morrison is a great actor, so I'm not so sure why he was nominated for Glee.)

I absolutely loved seeing the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien scoring four nominations. His seven months on the air were just wonderful, and it will be tough to choose between Conan and the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. Maybe we can have a repeat of their epic 2008 fight?

It will be interesting to see who takes home the trophies on Aug. 29. For the last three years, I was rooting for Conan to host the show again this year, since NBC is broadcasting it. Of course, that wouldn't happen after NBC's utter failure, but I enjoy Jimmy Fallon (he was one of the only highlights of last year's show) so it will be good to see him shine. What are everyone's surprises and picks for this year?



Yesterday, former Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell became the second most reviled man in Northeast Ohio, after LeBron James decided to publicly humiliate Cleveland in a prime time ESPN press conference to announce his intentions to go to the Miami Heat.

On one hand, I think it's a little insane that Northeast Ohio is reacting so strongly about this. It wasn't that big of a surprise that he was leaving, and life will go on without him. Yet, I also do not blame them, because it was classless how he strung the region and the Cavaliers as long as he did, and then made his "Decision" on national TV. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to go to a stronger team if it weren't for the fact that he claimed to have so much pride for Northeast Ohio over the past seven years. Fans really supported him, and he slapped them in the face. He either doesn't realize how much Northeast Ohio cared about him, or, more likely, he didn't care. This classless press conference was all about building up the LeBron brand.

Cleveland is one of my favorite cities, and I hate to see that people will probably look down upon it now that "King James" left it behind, which is a shame. I'm torn between rolling my eyes at those jersey burners and rooting them on (even though I couldn't care less about sports). Cleveland is more than sports teams, and it's a shame that LeBron's tacky actions this evening will only reinforce the idea that it's a place people don't want to be, and that is not right. Cleveland Rocks!


On a happier note, Wednesday night, Steve Carell made his first appearance on the Colbert Report. Steve and Stephen worked together for years on the Daily Show, and created the amazing "Even Stevphen" debate segment, which would consist of the two yelling at one another and usually crying at the end. Thankfully, the two resurrected this wonderful segment last night, featuring digs against Steve for not winning an Emmy, Stephen's woeful movie roles and more.

As if that weren't enough, we may have gotten a preview in Steve's post-Office television plans: the Carell Corral.

Comedy Central's awful video players are not worth linking to, so I'm just going to direct everyone to Gawker's videos from that amazing show. Plus, you don't have to be an American to watch them. If you are an American, I'd recommend checking out other Even Stevphen videos from the Daily Show. I'd also like to recommend my favorite Steve and Stephen moment, where Steve gets drunk beyond belief.


Again, it's been a busy TV week, any comments you have about anything here, I'd love to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment