Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mad Men returns tonight, yet I cannot bring myself to watch

I should be excited about the return of AMC's Emmy award winning drama Mad Men tonight. I usually love shows that are critically acclaimed and develop a rabid, if small, fan base. However, I just cannot bring myself to enjoy the show.

It's not that I think Mad Men is a bad show. I see exactly why people love it so much, and I recognize that it's brilliantly executed, especially in regards to cinematography. I love most of the cast members outside of the show, and from what I've seen, they give great performances on the show.

Yet, just because one realizes a show is brilliant, that doesn't make one a fan. The aspects of Mad Men that make it great just don't hook me at all. I've tried watching season one twice; I think I've watched the pilot episode three times. I find the pace to be too slow for my tastes, even though that's probably one of the things that makes the show what it is.

I've had people call me crazy for not falling under the allure of Mad Men. Usually, people react like this:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

To be honest, I don't blame them. I don't know what mental block is stopping me from enjoying the show, because I want to love it. However, in my defense, and the defense of others who can't fall in love with Mad Men or other high-quality shows, I think it's good that I can recognize a good show when I see one. It's just that what I respect and what I like can be two totally different things.

I try not to judge shows based upon first viewing. I didn't like Modern Family or 30 Rock's pilot episodes, but now I enjoy the shows. I didn't enjoy Friday Night Lights' pilot, yet I feel like I need to give that show another chance for the same reasons I listed for Mad Men (the performances are supposed to be so good). But sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the spark isn't there, and that's what happened with me and Mad Men.

With that said, I'm happy for all of the fans of the show who have been waiting a year for their Dick Whitman fix (Why do I know that is Don Draper's real name considering I don't watch the show? It shows I know too much about TV.). I just won't share in their enthusiasm.


Are there shows that just couldn't hook you, no matter how many people praised them, no matter how many Emmys they received?

2 comments:

  1. I can understand what you're saying. I feel the same about Dexter - I can see the appeal, I can see the quality of acting, I can see how well done it is, but I don't like it. It just doesn't sustain my attention at all.

    I do love Mad Men though, and I'm super excited that it's back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about many shows, and for other shows, I need some time to distance myself from friends' hype before I feel I can enjoy it without any letdown.

    ReplyDelete