Thursday, July 29, 2010

Will Jersey Shore lose its appeal?

In my last entry, I talked about how I couldn't bring myself to enjoy Mad Men. I know why - because I watch trash like Jersey Shore.

I hate reality TV, but Jersey Shore is just so ridiculous, I can't resist it. I wish I were more excited about the season two premiere on MTV tonight, but I'm not. Why? Because I'm afraid that it will be too scripted.


Yes, I realize that it sounds semi-insane that I'm bemoaning the potential loss of realness in an MTV show. After all, how realistic are these shows from the get-go? These eight strangers wouldn't have met and lived in their Seaside Heights home without the help of MTV, and I'm sure the cameras do influence their behavior. However, with Jersey Shore, I honestly felt as though there was little exaggeration when it came to the behavior of the cast members. I think Snooki will be Snooki whether there is a camera on hand or not. My brain hurts trying to comprehend the idea of the Situation wearing a shirt unless required by law. The way they acted in season one was really ridiculous and ridiculously real.

Back in March, I wrote about the issue that plagued one of MTV's biggest reality show hits, the Osbournes. It had an outrageous first season, and that ridiculousness is what made the show so addictive and fun to watch. Then, in the second season, the show became about the show and the fame the family got from it. It felt scripted and I got the idea that the family was acting in subsequent seasons. This is my fear for Jersey Shore.

For the beginning of this season, the cast will be living in Miami, and while I think it could make way for some interesting moments, I worry that the show will focus too much on their new fame. What was fun in season one was that the cast members seemed to act out these stereotypes in their own lives, and were just transported to New Jersey as they were - self-described guidos living the "Jersey Shore" life elsewhere. Now, I worry they truly have just become actors, and have lost touch with their real lives, and for me, that takes away a lot of the show's appeal.

I'm in Cleveland right now, and the hotel I'm in (the same one that has the unreliable satellite) does not feature MTV, so I'll either have to search it out online tomorrow night after it airs, or catch it when I go home, which is unfortunate. So, I'd love to hear everyone's comments on what they think of the season premiere tonight.

1 comment:

  1. i heard they were getting a new girl in on jersey shore. whass the deal-e-o yo?

    ReplyDelete