Monday, July 12, 2010

Fun Food Network Challenge captivates and cures the blues

It wasn't a great end to my weekend. One of my beloved cats, Sammy, passed away. I was very upset about this, and since I needed something to take my mind off of the fact that he's no longer in the house, I, being the television junkie that I am, turned to the idiot box for solace. In short: Thank God for the always wonderful Food Network Challenge, which always seems to air in a marathon on Sunday nights.

The show, which features professional chefs competing against one another to create the most delicious and aesthetically appeasing food for a $10,000 prize, is one of those shows that I will leave on any time I come across it when channel surfing. It's so addictive; it's highly drama without being overly ridiculous, and it's so fascinating to see how these elaborate creations come together. I'm especially partial to the episodes featuring cakes and other sweet treats, likely because they are the easiest to admire without actually using taste as a means to judge the creations.

The other evening, I caught the SpongeBob Squarepants birthday cake challenge episode, and I absolutely loved it. The cakes the competitors made were so amazing. Seeing nearly life-sized cakes of Mr. Krabs and Patrick? That is right up my alley. I loved seeing the competitors take existing characters and using their own creative pasty flair to make them come to life. Of course, the cakes don't always turn out so wonderful. I remember the infamous collapse of the Sully cake (from Monsters, Inc.) during the Pixar cake episode.

The amount of anguish and pain I feel for the competitors is pretty intense. I worry that all of the hard work they do won't matter, since they won't even be able to finish creating their ideal work. Last night, I was watching the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame cake challenge episode, and I would have loved to have seen how it turned out, but my cable box decided to freeze up 15 minutes into the episode. However, during the moments I did watch, it was clear that the competitors were going to have issues with their elaborate cakes (especially those who were making theirs to look like the actual building in Cleveland). I felt so sorry for them.

I'll admit, my food palette is pretty boring, therefore, the recipe-based shows on the Food Network don't really interest me. But add in the pretty designs of these cakes or confections during the Food Network Challenge? You've got me sitting on the edge of my seat with my mouth watering.

My only question: Who eats the massive creations when they're done with the episode? Then again, are they even edible at all once they are finished, or are they just made with food?

No comments:

Post a Comment